Confidence – High, Low or Hidden?
Have you ever tried to measure your confidence levels? It might surprise you know that we all have far more of it than we realise. Knowledge is power as they say, so if we know we have it then powerful we should be, right? Maybe not quite that simple.
I am an example: This is what makes me appear confident
- I run my own business
- I deliver fitness classes to complete strangers
- I can make less confident people feel better about themselves
- I wear loud leggings
- I make bad jokes and laugh loudly
The list goes on. Note that the list is about how I ‘appear’ confident, not of what I am confident about. Two different things but very much connected.
I am able to do the things I do because I have forced myself to believe what others have told me. “You can do it.” Now that is simple! Having courage in life is essential if we are to make the most out of it.
Think about all the things you have done in your life that took courage, make a list. Remember what is courageous to one person might not be to another. The list will be personal to you.
Mine would include having children, driving anywhere outside of Devon, swimming in foreign waters, leaving my job! You get the idea and can stop laughing anytime!
Read your list and acknowledge that whatever you have written means you have confidence or there would be no list.
Do any of the things on your list make you ask the question, “how did I ever do that?” Has your confidence level risen or fallen?
Our confidence levels can drive us forward or hold us back. So here are some tips to keep you driving forward:
- Believe people when they say good things about you
- Walk tall, literally. The better your posture the more confident you will feel
- Challenge your level of confidence to find out where it is now
- Make those personal changes that you know will make you feel better about yourself
- Never be afraid to ask for help
- Body image, if you don’t like it, change it. It is only your image and generally very warped!
- Your barriers are only as high as you build them. Start demolishing!
I would love to hear about some of things that appear on your lists whether they are on paper or in your head. If just one person reads this and realises that their confidence is hidden but it is there and decides to uncover it, I will be a very happy blogger!
For confidence inspiration have a look at these quotes.